The Owner-Built Log House:
Building with Logs (8th edition):
Building with Logs in New Zealand:
Log House Plans:
Notches of All Kinds:
Picture Book of Log Homes
All 48 plans contained in B. Allan Mackie’s book Log House Plans are available for purchase from RSM Drafting and will contain both the original drawings by B. Allan Mackie and the updated versions created by RSM Drafting.
AVAILABLE AS DIGITAL VIDEO DOWNLOADS!
B. Allan Mackie has spent the last several years creating his own 9-part series of information-packed instructional videos designed for the serious builder. Narrated by B. Allan Mackie himself, they contain everything you need to know to construct your own state-of-the-art log buildings. They are available individually and as a set in both European (PAL) and North American formats. They are currently being translated into Japanese, Korean, and German. (visit website for purchase/download details)
BUILDING WITH LOGS: A COMPLETE GUIDE TO LOG BUILDING
- Introduction This introductory video outlines the general requirements and preparations for working on a log building. It emphasizes serious safety instructions, particularly chain saw safety.
- Tools and Terms Demonstrates the necessary tools and explains log building terminology.
- House Start Preparation of building site and instructions for setting up pre-building site.
- Basic Building This video demonstrates a basic saddle notch practice technique and shows the complete procedure for placing a log on the building.
- Other Notches I Step-by-step instructions for the Blind Dovetail Notch, Lock Notch and Square Notch.
- Other Notches II Step-by-step instructions for the Round Notch, Blind Wall Notch, Dovetail Notch and Post Notch
- Walls, Windows and Doors Basic instructions for wall construction and control, openings for windows and doors and instructions for electrical access.
- Joists and Beams/ Roof Systems I Complete instructions on placing second floor beams and for post and beam roof systems.
- Roof Systems II Step-by-step detail on building king post trusses.